Monday, February 3

Parenting 101

**I published some old drafts a while back because I thought the kids might enjoy them - i wish I had noted when they were from**

Last night Dwight and I had a good talk about where we want to be as parents, et cetera. So this morning I sat the kids down for a family meeting (ha!) and I explained to them that I want to be able to have more time doing stuff with them and I explained ways they could help make that happen (ha ha!). Then I asked them what things they like to do with me and their dad. This list about broke my heart because I realized they don't care, they just like to be with us. Here are some examples of the things they suggested:

do laundry
make beds
wash dishes
cook
build things with Daddy
pick up toys

Are you getting the idea? Of course they said other things too like "go to the playground" but yes, the majority of things they came up with were chores. *sigh* I guess we all know what my priorities have been.

My problem is that I'm just too A/R. I have a hard time enjoying myself when they're tearing things apart. I enjoy putting legos together with O but it drives me crazy that you can never find the pieces you need because he has way too many blooming legos! I wish we had some lego equivalent for A. There's no toy that will entertain her for hours quietly in her bedroom. Of course she doesn't do anything quietly so I shouldn't be surprised about that. O is usually very cooperative and agreeable. If I'm tidying up his bedroom, he'll cheerfully do the chores I assign him and just generally help out. When I'm tidying up A's room, she could care less and frequently refuses to help out. She could care less if I dispose of her things too. K is stubborn too but she's at that age where she likes to pick things up so if I start putting things into a container, she'll usually follow suit. She doesn't know that she's cleaning up. But she's very destructive right now. She keeps tearing up books. *grr* I would play more games with the other two but she wreaks havoc on it all.

Well, I had told myself I would go to bed early tonight and it's already 11:22...which is not early. So good night!

1 comment:

Because I'm the Mom... said...

I can SO relate...I've mentioned on my blog how we've been attempting to simplify life. I think it's a matter of constantly analyzing my lifestyle and identifying room for improvement. My latest revelation is that I need to lower expectations about the condition of the house, say NO to low-value time commitments, and set a daily realistic, tentative schedule. Also, I'm trying to break for some simple pure-parenting moments. For example, my tendency is to clean the house to perfection and get everything in order so that I can then sit down for quality time with the kids. I just never get there and when I do, we're rushed. So, my schedule is made up of short, small tasks, for example: if I do 30 minutes of clean-up and then intentionally break for 30 minutes of outside time, etc., the kids are so much happier and cooperative. I just have learned to be present in the moment despite the clutter that may be surrounding me.

You're doing a great job!!